These are the perfect summer treat (yes, I know it’s Winter here in Melbourne but I like to pretend it’s Summer). They’re tangy, creamy and chewy and they’re vegan, so everyone can enjoy them! To be honest, they don’t really taste like a cheesecake, but the idea is there. Also, when you make a raw version of a dessert, it is never going to taste the same as the real thing, but to me, it still tastes like it’s own kind of dessert. The chewy base and creamy topping replicate a regular cheesecake, but the taste is a lot more refreshing rather than indulgent. You can also use different fruits to make berry/tropical adaptions. Pop them in the freezer and eat them as a frozen treat or let them thaw out for a creamier texture!
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 6 dates
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup cashews, soaked either overnight or in boiling water for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or rice bran syrup
- 1/4 cup lime juice or lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lime and 1 lemon
- Process the base ingredients in a food processor until it resembles crumbs and sticks together when pressed.
- Spoon mixture into a mini muffin pan and press down with the back of a teaspoon (or fingers).
- Add the cheesecake ingredients to your food processor and process until smooth (this can take up to 5-8 minutes).
- Add to the base and smooth over with the back of a teaspoon and place into the freezer for 2 hours to set.
- Top with either grated lime or lemon zest
- Keep stored in the freezer in an airtight container